Adorning the vestibule of the Chapel of the Good Shepherd at The General Theological Seminary are two magnificently etched windows honoring St. Mary the Virgin and St. Elizabeth. Alumni and Friends visiting the Close for the first time since the 1990s often remark that they don’t recall the windows, and inquire about their origin.
The windows were a gift of the Rt. Rev. Harold B. Robinson, Class of 1946 and D.D. 1967, who is now deceased. He was the Bishop of the Diocese of Western New York from 1970 to 1988, and Assisting Bishop of the Diocese of New York from 1989 to 1993, and his wife, Mrs. Marie Robinson.
Robinson, who was also a member of the Board of Trustees of General Seminary, and Mrs. Robinson were living on the Close and thought, by 1990, it was time for women to be represented among the iconography of the Chapel of the Good Shepherd.
Harold and Marie Robinson engaged the artist, Wendy Armstrong Jewett, and the windows were created and ready for dedication at a Special Evensong on October 16, 1991, in loving memory of their mothers, Mary Barrett Robinson and Elizabeth Osborn Little.
During her time on the Close, Marie Robinson also gave great care to the gardens, and continues to be a faithful supporter of the Chelsea Square Conservancy.
We are deeply grateful for Bishop and Mrs. Robinson, and their lives of dedicated, faithful ministry and support, not only to General, but to our Church.